Hygge: The Art of Warm & Cozy Winters
December 28, 2016 By Sarah WhiteNo Comments
This seriously cold weather has me embracing the Danish concept of ‘hygge’ – the art & practice of all things warm and cozy. These are my daily strategies to get comfy, keep toasty and prevent those wintertime blues from creeping in:
- Sipping on dairy-free hot chocolate (with the occasional splash of almond milk baileys) plus lots and lots of warming ginger tea
- Switching straight into my cozy lined robe (my go-to is the anthropologie sherpa robe), slippers & fuzzy socks as soon as I get home from work in the evenings.
- Cooking & consuming more warming foods like homemade soups & stews, big bowls of my favourite brown rice pasta smothered in bolognese sauce & hearty oatmeal with all the fixings.
- Spending more time with friends and family, celebrating simple moments with the people I love.
- Curling up on the couch with a great book (currently reading ‘my brilliant friend’ by Elena Ferrante and I highly recommend it).
- Starting my day with 30 minutes in front of my SAD light therapy box from Northern Light technologies to ‘trick’ my body into thinking the days are just a little bit longer.
- Supplementing with Vitamin D to combat winter blues (did you know that any dose over 1,000IU requires a prescription? Book an appointment to check your levels & determine what form & amount of this ‘sunshine vitamin’ is right for you)
Looking to connect with a Naturopath in Oakville to discuss your health goals? Book your appointment here.