You’ve likely already heard the adage “true beauty comes from within”. While a graceful spirit is the true source of real and powerful beauty, you can further improve your appearance from within through the foods you choose to consume. It’s entirely possible to erase years from your face simply by changing your diet – I know this because I’ve seen significant transformations over and over again in my patients. The state of your skin is a clear indication of how you treat your body, and my patients start looking younger and glowing almost immediately after replacing processed junk with wrinkle-fighting foods. The following anti-aging foods are packed with essential beauty nutrients that nourish healthy skin, hair and nails from the inside out.
- Organic Soy: In a recent study 30 women were given soy isoflavones for 3 months. Skin punch tests were then performed before and after measured epidermal thickness, wrinkling and amount of elastic and collagen fibers in the skin. The results showed a significant increase in all categories of skin health. Organic soy can easily be found in your local health food store in the form of tempeh, organic tofu, miso, organic edamame beans.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are abundant in vitamin C. This nutrient is vital for skin health because it helps prevent and treat ultraviolet (UV)-induced skin damage. It’s also an important co-factor in collagen synthesis; an elastic protein that keeps your skin firm. Collagen production declines as we age causing wrinkles and loose skin. Studies show that you can maintain healthy collagen levels by eating a diet rich in both collagen, and vitamin C. The best citrus sources of vitamin C are orange, lime & lemon (as if you need yet another reason to finally start drinking warm lemon water in the mornings).
- Bone broth: Bone broth is the ideal anti-aging food packed with collagen (the protein responsible for building strong & youthful skin), glycine (known as the ‘anti-aging amino acid – glycine is crucial for forming connective tissue in the skin) & anti-aging minerals (phosphorus, calcium & magnesium).
- Pomegranates: Your mitochondria are the power plants of every cell in your body and they are essential to your health and longevity and new research shows that the inhibition of a process called mitophagy (aka the turn over of old mitochondria) is at the root cause of many diseases of aging. Pomegranates contain a precursor to molecule called urolithin A which can amazingly re-establish your body’s ability to enhance mitochondrial clean-up and recycle the components of the defective mitochondria. This anti-aging molecule is created in the gut via the ‘good’ bacteria that lives in your digestive system so it would be wise to eat some probiotic foods along with those pomegranate seeds.
- Red wine: [maximum 4 glasses weekly] Alcohol creates toxins in the body that are ageing to the skin, but if you are going to indulge anyway make sure it’s a glass of dry red wine. Red grape skins are full of antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatory compounds and new studies are showing that red wine can actually slow down the aging process.
- Avocado: Avocados are high in vitamin E and a rich source of the skin-protective antioxidants that are essential for glowing skin and shiny hair. These wonderful fruits also have a high folate content, which is important for skin cell regeneration and can result in a more youthful complexion.
- Hemp seeds: Hemp seed contain significant amounts of omega-6 fatty acid GLA (known for its anti-inflammatory properties) and vitamin E; which is one of the only nutrients that has been proven to decrease the effect of the sun on the skin and prevent future damage.
- Blueberries: 1 serving (1/2 cup) of this simple super food provides antioxidants that fight free radicals that contribute to wrinkles & sun damage.
- Brazil nuts: Brazil nuts are nature’s richest source of selenium, a powerful mineral that aids in the production of your body’s main antioxidant glutathione. This mineral repairs cell damage and slows down the skin’s aging process. Limit your intake to 3 large nuts daily which will provide around 250mcg selenium.
To connect with a Naturopath Dr. Sarah in Oakville to discuss your anti-aging health goals book your in-person appointment here.